Design and Cost Optimization of Heat Exchangers Network System in a Typical Brewery Plant

##plugins.themes.bootstrap3.article.main##

  •   Shadrack Uzoma Mathew

  •   Tamzor Lebari Aban

Abstract

Heat exchanger design and cost optimization had been carried out for Pabod Brewery, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria using Pinch Technology as process application method. The gross energy expenditure by the plant is 10.44MW at production capacity of 400,000 liters of beer per day. On quantitative aggregate 6.157MW goes for heating and 4.267MW for cooling. A temperature pinch or minimum approach temperature (ΔTmin) of 100C, minimum heating utility of 5.04MW and cooling utility of 3.09MW were recorded. Energy upturn of 1.08MW and 1.23MW for the hot and cold flows were measured. This finding correlates to energy conservationS of 18% for hot utility and 21% for the cold utility. Overall improvement in capital and annualized costs of 39% was achieved for the hot and cold utilities. The researchers strongly recommend the outcome of this research to process applications in brewery, chemical, petrochemical, oil and gas industries.


Keywords: Heat Exchanger Design and Cost Optimization, Energy Upturn, Capital Cost, Annualized Cost

References

Shadrack, M. U., and Tamzor, L. A. (2020). Heat Exchanger Process Optimization in a Typical Brewery Plant, EERS, European Journal of Engineering and Science, Vol. 5, No. I, January 2020.

Escobar, M., and J.O. Trierweiler, J.O., (2013). Optimal heat exchanger network synthesis: A case study comparison, Applied Thermal Engineering, 51 Pp 801-826.

Kemp, I. C., (2007). Pinch Analysis and Process Integration a User Guide on Process Integration for the Efficient Use of Energy, Second edition Elsevier Ltd Oxford, UK; P.15-23

Kemp, I.C., (2011). Pinch analysis and process integration: A user guide on process integration for the efficient use of energy. Butter Worth-Heinemann

Kemp, I.C., and Deakin, A.W. (1989) The Cascade Analysis for Energy and Process Integration of Batch Processes, Part 1: Calculation of Energy Targets. Chemical Engineering Research& Design, No. 67, Pp 495-505.

Linnhoff, B., Flower, J.R. (1978). Synthesis of heat exchanger networks. Part I: Systematic generation of energy optimal networks, AICHE J., vol. 24, no. 4, Pp. 633-642.

Linnhoff, B., Flower, J.R., (1978). Synthesis of heat exchanger networks. Part II: Evolutionary generation of networks with various criteria of optimality, AICHE J., vol. 24, no. 4, Pp. 642-654.

Linnhoff, M., (1998). Introduction to Pinch Technology © Copyright 1998 Linnhoff March, England

Bakhtiari, B., Bedard,S., (2013). Retrofitting heat exchanger networks using a modified network pinch approach, Applied Thermal Engineering, 51 Pp 973-979.

Escobar, M., and J.O. Trierweiler, J.O., (2013). Optimal heat exchanger network synthesis: A case study comparison, Applied Thermal Engineering, 51 Pp 801-826.

Linnhoff, B., (1994). Use pinch analysis to knock down capital costs and emissions. ChemEngProg, Pp 33-57.

Ahmad, S., Linnhoff, B., and Smith, R., (1990). Cost Optimum Heat Exchanger Networks- 2. Targets and Design for Detailed Capital Cost Models, Comp ChemEng, 14: Pp751.

Shenoy, U., (1995). Heat Exchanger network analysis; Process optimization by energy and resource analysis. Gulf Publishing House, Houston, Texas.

Jeffrey, S.U., (2010). Online Pinch Analysis, based on pinch analysis C2007-2010 Ludwig C.N written in Fortran 95

Wunsch, H. (1998), Energy saving possibilities in the sugar industry. Sugar Y Azucar

Leni, C.E., Daniel, G., de Luna, M.G., Ferdinand, M. and Nurak, G., (2015). Brewery Heat Exchanger Networks Design and Optimization Based on Pinch Analysis at a Single ΔTmin. Philippine Engineering Journal. vol. 36, p.54-75.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

##plugins.themes.bootstrap3.article.details##

How to Cite
[1]
Mathew, S. and Aban, T. 2020. Design and Cost Optimization of Heat Exchangers Network System in a Typical Brewery Plant. European Journal of Engineering Research and Science. 5, 3 (Mar. 2020), 245-251. DOI:https://doi.org/10.24018/ejers.2020.5.3.1748.